Re: Driveshaft - questions on both ends.

To: Matt.Kulka@hboc.com
Subject: Re: Driveshaft - questions on both ends.
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 19:41:20 EDT
On Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:27:31 -0400  "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
writes:
>Good morning again, listers.
>
>I was under the '74 B last night checking and greasing the u-joints
>and I
>found an awful lot of play in the differential.  There's a flange on
>the
>input shaft of the differential.  I can turn the driveshaft so the
>edge of
>the flange moves about 3/8" (compared to the differential housing)
>without
>the wheels turning.  Wow.
>
>I know these axles tend to get some play in them, but how much is too
>much?
>Beyond that, how far can this go before I start breaking teeth?
>Lastly, is
>this a matter of replacing thrust washers, or replacing differential
>gears?
>

>The other odd thing, is that I was expecting to find a grease fitting
>in the
>sliding splined shaft just behind the front u-joint.  What I found was
>small machine screw loosely screwed into a threaded hole just behind
>the
>yoke.  This hole doesn't look big enough for a grease fitting, but I
>can't
>figure out what else it would be for, or why a small machine screw
>should be
>in this hole.  What's that all about?

It should be a grease nipple. Apparently a PO has lost the little bugger
and plugged it with a machine screw. Yes, it is a small thread (#10 I
think).  You can get a new grease nipple to fit at the local auto parts
store, Cheap too.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

>Thanks again.
>
>Matt Kulka
>'74 B - With all that play, no wonder it's so much fun to drive.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]