Re: 73B - Electrical Problem (Brake light and One Tail Light)

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Subject: Re: 73B - Electrical Problem (Brake light and One Tail Light)
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:12:38 -0500
I've had the exact same problems before on my 73 B.
Remember, all your symptoms may not be related but may be separate problems.
Here's some things to check, but remember they are just long-distance
guesses:
1) Replace all the fuses anyway. I found one wasn't working even though it
LOOKED ok.
2) Are you SURE you checked all the bullet connectors in the trunk? Jiggle
all the wires with the light switch ON and see if anything happens.
3) The brake light problem is possibly a misaligned switch (inside the pedal
box). Remove the pedal box and use a friend or mirror to see if the brake
lights come on and off as you fiddle with the plunger on the switch.
4) Sounds like your headlamp/park light switch may be dirty. Click it back
and forth a few times to see if anything happens. (this one is a long shot,
though)
5) Finally, if nothing works, you'll have to get a good multimeter and a
wiring diagram (I use the Haynes since the Bentley doesn't have the '73
diagram) then METHODICALLY start testing all your circuits from source to
switch to lamp. (I know....ugh!)
Hope this helps!

Dan
73 B