Re: Fuel Pump, etc. etc.

To: Benjamin Li <bkl@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump, etc. etc.
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 02:46:54
At 01:54 AM 10/12/98 -0700, Benjamin Li wrote:
>.... the positive wire to the pump was pretty much undone, the plastic had
burned off and exposed some of the wire. .... Did a voltmeter test on the
pump wires. .... the inertia switch I saw under the dash.  The two wires
going into it had melted together and on the bonnet release .... Separated
the two wires, electrical tape each respective one.  Still no voltage at
the pump.
>1)  Where is a good ground to use when measuring the voltage at the fuel
pump?  (battery post for ground?)

Any point on the body with no paint.  Look for a bare scew head or scrape
off a little paint to make a bare spot for the ground test point.

>3)  The melted wires connecting into the supposed inertia switch, what
would that indicate?

High current draw, possibly a short somewhere farther down the circuit.
And the wire connectors may have a little resistance (not a real tight
physical connection), and the combination of resistance and current
produces heat.

>4)  Melted voltage+ wire into the pump stripped, just poor location and
physical damage, or over-current and etc.?

Melted insulation means heat again.  If the melt point is very near the
connector, suspect another high resistance connection, and possibly also
excess current.  Beginning to sound like a short in the fuel pump.  Check
resistance (ohms) through the fuel pump.  Disconnect the wire, put one lead
of the meter on the wire connection tab of the pump and the other lead to
ground.  Should be at least a couple ohms of resistance there.  If near
zero resistance, there's a short inside.

Keep us posted,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude