Re: Radiator Cap (stupid owner trick)

To: Dan Ray <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Cap (stupid owner trick)
From: Pat Bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:41:42 -0700

Dan Ray wrote:

> Not that anyone on the list would follow in my footsteps, but...
> I went to a lot of trouble and work to refurbish my radiator, hoses, etc. a
> while back.
> Well...upon arriving at the LBC Club (L for Louisville) meeting last night,
> I had a large puddle of coolant forming under my car. It wasn't even that
> hot!
> Under the eyes of so many experienced LBC owners, I realized that the
> radiator cap seal had blown.
> No harm done, just got rid of a little excess fluid. (My only saving grace
> is that I travel further for these meetings than anyone else!)
> Guess I should have done more than just PAINT THE CAP SILVER!!!! :)
> Moral: Do it right, replace the cap too...it's not just there for show, it
> keeps the stuff in as much as the rest of the radiator! Duh.
> No one can ever say I don't laugh at myself. Hopefully my mistake isn't
> repeated by another novice now.
>
> Dan
> 73 B

Dan
This reminds me of an event a couple of years ago in july,I went up to Mt Pinos
to do some stargazing with my telescope and I drove up from 2100 ft here at
home to 8500 ft at Pinos.
I stopped for dinner in Frazier Park on the way and when I stopped on top of
the mountain I heard some water gurgling out!strange I thought she's never done
THAT before so I popped the bonnet and to my surprise my radiator cap was
gone!I had forgot to put it back on whilst doing my fluid check!Luckily it
didn't overheat,it only lost about a quart! I borrowed a cap the next day and
went into town to NAPA and found a new cap thats octagonal in shape!Not bad
climbing up a mountain in the dead of summer I think it was around 100.
Pat