Re: MGA gas gauge?

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: MGA gas gauge?
From: "Steven R Schultz" <SSchultz@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:35:24 -0400
Barney
I made some progress today.  I removed the sending unit, measured the
resistance as you suggested.  Good news!  It works fine.  I also installed
a new ground from the chassis wiring harness bracket six inched away
to the base of the sending unit. Unfortunately the gauge doesn't work.
With three gallons it says 7/8 full. I reversed both wires and no good.
When I turn off the car ignition the gas gauge goes back to E.Even
though I had the gauge checked several months ago but  I am not
sure it is working correctly.  How can I check the gauge? It is a
Smiths gauge but it does not have a number on the face.  It may
have been new (reissue?) in 1985 when a lot of work was done.

Steve
'61 MGA 1600

----------
> [...]
> glow a little dimmer, but it still lights.
>
> When I had trouble with my gauge the tank ground connection was reading
> about 30 ohms resistance, so the current would flow and the gauge would
> work, but the gauge wouldn't go all the way to the empty mark when the
tank
> was empty.
>
> >I touched the sending unit wire from the gauge to the chassis and the
> gauge went to full (not to empty).
>
> Uh, just a guess here, but you may have the wires on the back of the
gauge
> reversed.  It should go to the empty mark when you ground the signal
wire.

> >.... multi-meter .... Grounded one end of the multi-meter to the chassis
> and touched the other end to the electric stud on the sending unit.  With
> the ignition off and the gauge wire off I got a reading of 90.5
>
> Measuring the combined resistance of the sending unit and the tank ground
> connection here.  Looks like a high resistance ground connection for the
> tank.  The reading should go from about 70 ohms when full to 0 ohms when
> empty, never higher than 70 ohms.  With 3 gallons of fuel in the tank the
> reading should be around 20-25 ohms.  If you check the resistance between
> the tank and the frame, I think you will find at least 50 ohns resistance
> there, and it should be 0.  If so, it needs a ground wire for the tank.
>
> >Grounded one end of the multi-meter to the chassis and touched the wire
> the gauge while it was disconnected .  With the ignition off I got 63.8.
>
> Measuring here the combined resistance of the gauge and the ground
> connection of the gauge to the dash and chassis.
>
> >Connected the sending unit wire and touched the multi-meter to the
> electric stud and grounded to the chassis. With the ignition off I got
34.5

> Doesn't tell you much here, as you have two high resistance ground
circuits
> in parallel, but the numbers make sense.
>
>  1      1      1
> ---- + ---- = ---
> 90.5   63.8    X
>
> and solving fox X = 37.4, pretty close to you measurement.
>
> >Are any of these what you were suggesting?
>
> Yep, still looks like a high resistance ground connection for the tank.
>
> >Should I get the 0-70 with the ignition on, wire connected and ground
the
> other end of the multi-meter?
>
> NO !!!  Don't try to measure the resistance with the ignition on.  The
> supplied voltage could blow out your ohm meter.  If it actually worked
you
> might be measuring negative resistance.  No help that way.
>
> Add a ground wire from the tank to the chassis.  If the gauge goes the
> wrong way, try reversing the wires on the back of the gauge.  One
terminal
> on the gauge carries a single wire that goes to the tank sending unit.
The