Re: Starting help

To: Rob Bergstrom <robbob@wam.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Starting help
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 19:32:54 +0000
Rob Bergstrom wrote:

> Howdy!
>     Anyone have an SU HIF carb-equipped 'B running w/out emission
> control and w/out the vapor recapture system?  Apparently the 'B I am
> working on was running as such many years ago when it was hit by a drunk
> driver while it sat in our driveway.  Now, as the repair and partial
> restoration nears completion, the car just won't start.  It's sparking,
> the fuel pump works, and the carbs have been cleaned.  The thing runs
> for all of five seconds before invariably stalling.  My brother suggests
> static timing it but the thing seems to want to run fine (not to mention
> I wouldn't know how to go about doing that, so any comments there
> couldn't hurt either.)  My guess is air induction problems, as it should
> be and seems to be getting plenty of fuel.  I'm a mechanical idiot so
> any responses should be termed in as layman a fashion as possible.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rob Bergstrom

If it isn't running at all check the fuel delivery and the plug lead
order.  Make sure No1 is getting the spark near TDC on its compression
stroke, and the leads are connected 1342 anti-clockwise.  You should
really do a full tune - valve clearances, points gap, check function of
vacuum advance, static timing and static carb adjustment.  When it is
running check the mechanical advance, the dynamic timing and the dynamic
carb adjustments in that order and look for any induction leaks.

So much for the 'what', but asking for the 'how' on here for that lot is
a tall order.  Get a Haynes or a Bentley manual and work from that.

PaulH.