Re: (no subject):Lead Dust

To: dresden@tiac.net
Subject: Re: (no subject):Lead Dust
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 19:32:31 -0400
dresden@tiac.net wrote:
> Trevor, Good Point. I was thinking the same thing; lead is safe until you
> start making it a particulate, and then it's probably more of a brain-eater
> than Bondo could ever be. Always wear a mask, and clean up the dust well!

  Personally, I like plastic filler. ;>

  I think plastic gets a bad rep for a couple of reasons. One
problem with filler is that it's so easy to use, any idiot
can use it, and often does. You find cars bodged with filler
but seldomly lead, probably because lead requires more
tools, time, and skill so is usually only used be people
doing respectable work.

  The other might be holder from the very first kinds of
plastic filler. I don't have any specific examples of it
beind bad, but you can bet the first fillers were not
as nice as today. Perhaps they got a bit of a bad rep then
that still remains. (ie: much like some people still eschew
electronic ignitions and catalytic convertors).

  Anyways, I consider using lead like building model ships in
a bottle. It makes it harder, but some people like to make
things harder.

  I've used plastic filler all my life, and have never
had a problem with any area that I fixed properly. I have
however seen bondo crack and swell and fall off, but it
was always because it was on too thick or because it
was spread over live rust. Lead wouldn't save you
there, either.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca