Lead Dust

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lead Dust
From: "Murch, Paul" <murch@y-city.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 10:55:14 -0400
John and any interested parties,

I too am using Eastwood lead on my 64B and would like to find a cheaper
source.  Trevor has some points about bondo and lead dust.

Lead can be a problem but if it is used intelegently it is not
dangerous.  I have found leading to work very effectively.  It takes
some practice to get a feel for using it and the Eastwood video tape is
very helpfull.  The process involves applying the lead and then shaping
it with a file.  This produces large shavings and produces very minimal
amounts of dust.  Lead is a very long lasting repair.

On the MGB there are several areas where the factory applied it and on
my car it is still in good shape and needs no attention.  On the other
hand the bondo applied by various DPOs is cracking and popping off.  I
think that leading is viewed as a professional and perminate fix where
bondo has a reputation for being a DPO bodge.

With all of the chemicals from strippers, paint, lead, fumes from
welding, etc that are present when doing a project such as this personal
safety should be a concern for us all.

Paul Murch
Ph.D. Chemist
64 B

*Looking for a source for lead body solder other than Eastwood.  Thier
*prices are obscene.

*  BTW, anyone who is interested, I find using lead (body solder)
*easier and better than plastic body filler (Bondo).  None of those
*brain eating chemical catalysts either.  What I do is shot blast the
*panel, find all the pin holes, use the tinning butter, dap on the lead,
*smooth it out, sand it down.  Much easier to work with than Bondo.

*   John