RE: Now where did that #$%#$ wheel go?

To: MGList <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Now where did that #$%#$ wheel go?
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:54:40 -0400
A couple of times I've been the victim of loosening lugnuts after service.
Once, the day after changing rear brake cylinders and once on the test drive
after the new motor went in.  (I probably had the wheels off at some time
while the car was on the stands.)  Thanks to God's graciousness, each time I
heard the clunking and pulled over before catastrophe hit.  I make a point
of tightening the lugnuts after I put the car on the ground, which is the
method that I've used for all of time, so I doubt it's a matter of wrong
procedure or forgetfulness.

This is the first car I've had with this tendency to loosening lugs.  I
don't know why this is, but since it happens, I've decided to make some
adjustments to my regular routines.  Whenever I remove a wheel, I'll make it
a point to tighten the lugs a second time after the test drive.  I'll also
go around and give each lugnut a grunt whenever I do an oil change.

Your brakes are the most important part of the car, but without a wheel to
transfer the work, it becomes kind of moot, eh?

Matt Kulka
'74 B - with all tires attached, thank you.