Re: Wheel go?

To: Matt.Kulka@hboc.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheel go?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:58:57 EDT
>Matt Kulka writes:

>This is the first car I've had with this tendency to loosening lugs.  I
>don't know why this is, but since it happens, I've decided to make some
>adjustments to my regular routines.  Whenever I remove a wheel, I'll make it
>a point to tighten the lugs a second time after the test drive.  I'll also
>go around and give each lugnut a grunt whenever I do an oil change.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There was just a thread on the autox list about lug nuts, as those guys are
very concerned with losing a wheel at speed.  (So am I!)  The general
consensus of the national class drivers is that each lug nut should be
tightened with a torque wrench to the proper torque.  Obviously a loose nut
will loosen more, but an over tightened nut will cause other problems.  One
possible cause of warped brake rotors is over tightening the lug nuts.  You
might want to rethink your "grunt" when you do an oil change.

There was much more about the dynamics of threads and inclined planes, various
stress points, etc., but I'm not a physicist!

One last thought, if your lug nuts were over-tightened in the past, it would
probably be a good idea to replace the studs and nuts before torqueing to the
proper tension.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS class)