Re: Jacking and Rust

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jacking and Rust
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
At 12:53 AM 10/22/98 EDT, Bob wrote:

>I wouldn't even use the standard jack point on a brand new MGB! I'm no
>mechanical engineer, but there must be a tremendous amount of  prying force
>trying to rip that little tube off the car. This is what happened to me on a
>71 B that just had new rockers/sills, floors, etc. Take the original jack and
>throw it as far as you can, then get a good scissor jack. IMHO, MG really
>goofed on this part of the car.

Not to fan the flames or anything but.....

I've had at least one B of one variety or another for twenty-five years and,
except for serious maintenance work where a HD hydraulic floor jack was
used, I've always used the original jack with never a problem.  I humbly
suggest that if your jack point ripped off after new sills and floors were
installed it wasn't the design that failed but the installation.

Phillipe, TinTin is 32 years old right? How do you jack her up?

(flame suit ON)
Ross   MacPherson
TC-3528 , `66 BGT
Surrey, BC, Canada