Tipping, Yeah or Nay? (was Adventures in towing .....)

To: "Clayton Kirkwood" <kirkwood@garlic.com>
Subject: Tipping, Yeah or Nay? (was Adventures in towing .....)
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:26:52 -0500 (CDT)
Hi Ho Kirk,

Tow truck driving is basicly a low paying service job. I'm not self
employed and am paid on an hourly rate. It's very much like waitpersons
in a restaurant or taxi drivers. Tipping should be based on a
customer's satifaction level. I personally treat every vehicle as I
would wish my own to be treated. I'm amazed everyday by what I see on
the back of trucks..ie: Urathane bumpered cars lifted by slings (large
woven straps) and chains or all wheel drive vehicles being towed
instead of flatbeded (these kind things are very bad). I try and take a
little time on each tow to educate the customers as to how and why
their particular car should be transported.

Bottomline is that if you see a service provider going the extra mile
(in my case literally) then yes, a tip should be given. On the other
hand, if you got one of these animals that grunt at you upon arrival
and blindly hook under your car without regard to what they maybe
hooking on to, then a tip should not be expected or given.

The level of service I provide has become very obvious at the company I
work for. Many repeat customers and several commercial accounts ask for
me by name when calling for service. One fellow waited for me to return
from a long weekend so I could tranport his Corvette.

But I'm rambl'n here. If you're happy with a service, nothing shows
your appreciation better than a little cash.

Safety Fast,
David Deutsch