Re: Starter Relay

To: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starter Relay
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 05:40:53
At 08:22 PM 10/21/98 -0400, RossOvercash wrote:
>A list member posted a bit on using a generic relay in place of the more
expensive original starter relay in our cars.  I seem to have misplaced the
posting. ....

I may have mentioned this once.  There are two basic stand alone relay
types, and any auto parts store worth a second visit should stock both.

First, for the '63-'67 MGB with the inertia starter, the relay is a heavy
current contactor (about 300 amps capacity) incorporated into a 12 volt
solenoid that mounts on the inner fender (or anywhere else near the
engine).  The power feed cable from the battery goes to one of the large
terminals on the solenoid, and the other large terminal connects to the
heavy cable going to the starter motor.  One of the small terminals on the
solenoid is for the wire from the ignition switch (start position), and the
other goes to ground to complete the primary circuit.  Neither the heavy
terminals or the small terminals on the solenoid are polarized.  Newer
models of these are totally enclosed, while older models may have a
push-to-start button (sometimes rubber covered) on the end opposite the
large cable terminals.  I haven't needed (or purchased) one of these in
years, but I would _guess_ that $12-$15US should take one home.

Second, for the '69-'80 MGB with the large solenoid built into the starter
motor, the starter relay is a small rectangular metal box with a mounting
flange (or two) and 3 or 4 small spade terminals (or screw terminals).  Two
of the terminals will be for ignition switch start position wire and for
ground connection to complete the primary circuit.  In the case of a three
terminal relay, the metal housing will be the ground return for the primary
circuit.  Take power and ground wires and feel free to poke around on the
four terminals until the thing clicks.  Those two terminals are for the
primary wires, and on the 4-terminal relay are not polarised, and other
terminals will have no connection until it clicks.  The remaining two
terminals are for a 12-volt supply wire and a wire to the big solenoid on
the starter motor (the small terminal there).  On a car with an external
ignition resistor, the output from this relay will also be wired to bypass
the ignition resistor and supply power directly to the ignition coil while
cranking.  This relay looks very similar to a generic headlight relay, but
with one less terminal because it's single throw.  And for cost, I'm pretty
sure this type of starter relay is still under $10US.  I did buy one a few
years ago, and I seem to recall getting change from a fiver at the time.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and no starter relay or solenoid)