Crane HI-6 ignition box; better mileage, etc.

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Crane HI-6 ignition box; better mileage, etc.
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:07:59 -0500
Hi all, I'd like to report on the installation and running of a the
Crane HI-6 ignition box.

First, the HI-6 is not your average Joe Schmuck electronic igntion
box.  It advertisers multiple sparks at engine RPMs below 3000.
Also, it has a built-in rev limiter, which isn't really a big deal for
the un-rev happy MGB engine.  It does not replace your points, but it
only uses the points as a switch, not a  current carrying element, so
pitting is eliminated.

The installation took about one day, which included replacement of
junky Lucas wires with aftermarket spiral core wires (not much better,
but still an improvement), and replacement of my Sport Coil (for sale,
BTW) with a Crane coil.  Just some background info, my points were
burning out every 2500-5000 miles, which was unacceptable.  No
mechanics were able to help.  All ignition components were/are no less
than 2 years old.  I decided to use the Crane, since it advertises the
multiple spark concept and the fact I would no longer have a points
problem.

The past few weeks I have put around 1000 miles on it.  My gas mileage
before the Crane was around 22.5-23.0 mpg ('70 B with rebuilt motor
and hotter camshaft and SU carbs).  After installation and 3 tanks of
gas, my mileage is between 24.3-25.0 mpg, which is certainly a good
improvement.  In addition, the car starts instantly.  Before then, the
car would start fine, but you had to make sure you used the choke.
Now, unless it is cold (less than 50 degrees), I can start with no
choke on.  I openned the spark gap to .045, and I am going to open it
up another 10 thou, for better starting, cleaning burning.  Also, the
car idles very, very smoothly.  Not a single bit of hunting.  It feels
like a fuel injected car now.  Also,  the high RPM running is much
smoother.  The car runs at 3000 RPM and actually pulls well below
that, which is a first.

So... now that I've spoken of it's advantages, what are the
disadvantages?  First, the box likes to be in the passenger
compartment.  On early MGBs, the best spot is under the dash, along
the firewall.  On later MGBs, the box will fit under the horizontal
panel that comprises the top portion of the footwell.  I can supply
pictures, if anyone is interested.  Also, I need to get some shielding
for my passenger side speaker, since the computer junk in the box puts
out RF.  Not a big deal.  Also, I haven't worked out the tach
connection.  I need to call Crane to find out if I need an adapter,
but I think I can wire it up as it, and it will work.

Price for new wires, new Crane coil, and Crane HI-6 is around $250,
which may make some cringe.  But... I was burning up a condensor and
points every 2 months, so there was $60 per year in replacement parts.
This solves that problem, and I have much better running to boot.  I
think this is an excellent upgrade for a carbed engine.

Any comments?  And just to fight off the non-believers, my dizzy is
new, my coil was about 2 years old (and checked out fine), and all was
in good shape before the conversion.  And you can convert back to
points/condensor in about 15 minutes.

Jay