Re: Leakdown test results

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>,
Subject: Re: Leakdown test results
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 07:46:40
At 10:48 PM 10/24/98 -0400, William M. Gilroy wrote:
>.... I could no find any air leaking (i.e. hearing a hiss) from the
valves.  Both the tail pipe and the carb were silent.  For the two
cylinders (1 & 4) with good compression I could not detect any leaks into
the crank case. Cylinders 2 & 3, the ones with the low compression leaked
quite a bit of air into the crank case.  I could detect air movement with
my fingers at both the dipstick hole and in the valve galleys.  I could not
hear  any leakage between adjacent cylinders.

Blowing throught the crankcase only would indicate bad rings, allowing
blow-by in the cylinders.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude