Re: Painting Report - 69B

To: <BONNILA@aol.com>, <BarnhartC@ioc.army.mil>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting Report - 69B
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:30:02 -0600

>Regarding your paint job:
>
>Believe it or not, spray a very, very  light coat of white paint,
from a spray
>can, over the car. Then wet sand with coarse sandpaper (held by a
block),
>using even strokes in all directions, no stroke longer than 12
inches. Three
>more wet sands should follow, using progressively finer blocked
paper.
>Finally, polish (not wax) with a polishing wheel, wait a week, the
wax.  The
>very thin spotted coat of white paint comes off very easily with the
coarse
>sandpaper, and will help ensure that you don't miss any spots.

If this is a topcoat or finish coat, I would recommend 1200 or higher
grit.  Depends on the orange peel and how much elbow grease you want
to put in.  I disagree with the coarse? sandpaper, and especially the
sanding in all directions.  I prefer to sand in one direction, along
the length of the car, so that scratches are harder to see.    I agree
that you should progressively move up in grit.

I would then come back on it with a buffing compound, or diamond cut
compound.  Come over it with a machine glaze, and then your polish,
and wax.  Use a foam pad for clears and a regular wool pad for the
other paints  (make sure you get the right pad for the compound).

Jay