POR 15

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: POR 15
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:39:58 EST
POR 15 is a good product, but not suited to use on the topside of your MG. It
does not sand well and its very slick when hard, so it does not give a good
surface for addtional coats. I have used regular enamel paint on it when it is
still little tacky in areas on the underside or in the trunk where a perfect
finish is less critical. The stuff is very viscous and flows like water. Once
its on your skin it is very difficult to remove. Needless to say wear eye
protection and have mineral spirits and lots of rags handy. It will eat right
through cheap latex gloves (been there...) so use good heavy duty gloves, long
sleeve shirts etc. It will soak through your clothes too, leaving black
splotches where it does.
I havent much experience with aluminium finishing, but I wouldnt use it for
the reasons stated above. I know that Dupont makes a good etching primer.
Painting aluminium is tricky. Lots of prep work is required. Never use steel
wire wheel brushes on it! I ve had Land Rovers repainted and the best advice
was to paint over the factory finish when possible ( which was done with good
results, but then Land Rovers can get by with a less than perfect finish...).
Cheers, Andy Blackley