Re: dead MGB...

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>
Subject: Re: dead MGB...
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:04:29 +0000
John Steczkowski wrote:

> ... I went out to go get lunch and it did the same thing, started to
> crank, starter engaged, started to turn and then dead. As I was sitting
> there, I thought that maybe the starter solenoid was causing the problem. I
> got the lug wrench out of the trunk and wrapped the solenoid and it did the
> same thing, but didn't start.

You really ought to prove the fault before you start replacing parts
willy-nilly - that's expensive.

Listen out when you turn the key to crank the engine.  Can you hear a
click of a relay operating, a clunk of the solenoid operating, or
nothing at all?  If nothing at all, is the ignition light still showing
while the key is still turned.

If the ignition light goes out when you turn the key you have a bad
connection somewhere in the heavy current circuit - clean up the battery
terminals/connectors, the battery ground strap/body connection and the
solenoid connections.  For good measure also clean up both ends of the
engine ground strap and where it bolts to.

If the ignition light stays on but you hear no click or clunk then the
starter relay is not operating.  Check the connections on the relay, and
check that you get 12v on the white/red (guessing a bit here since we do
not know the year of your car) when you turn the key.  If you have 12v
on the white/red and ground on the black at the relay and the relay does
not operate the relay is dead.

If the realy clicks but the solenoid does not clunk