Re: Post-War Racing Heritage

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Post-War Racing Heritage
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 14:10:28 -0800
Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca> wrote:

>In that respect, I am somewhat envious of Triumph, Austin-Healy, and other
>marques for the rich racing heritage.  It seems most of the MG's victories
>were from the pre-war cars and thats where they really made their name. From

MGB class at Le Mans (12th overall?)
MGB class on the Monte Carlo rally
MGC GTS  best finish sandwiched between Ferraris
MGB too many SCCA production wins to even think about
MG Midget  damn close to being the best privateer on the London to Syndney
rally

Did Triumph ever win class at Le Mans?  I don't know.  The only big
Triumph wins I can think of are the Group 44 TR-6s (at a time when
MGBs were winning their own SCCA classes) and the TR-8 that took the
SCCA PRO Rally championship.

A good read with some MG content?  Try John Sprinzel's "The Spritely Years".
Yes, primarily a Sprite book, but you'll also find out that the
headline "...MG Batters Ferraris" was real.  (Hint:  in a rally)  One
of the most entertaining Brit car books I've ever read.

Research the MGC GTS, and the factory backed rally MGB GT V-8s.  Just
because Issigonis abused the marque (it's my understanding it was his
fault the MGC has that *heavy* engine in it instead of what people
wanted:  the Rover), doesn't mean that there weren't a few folks
supporting them.

Postwar MG's always were and still are a favorite of the American
sports car racing crowd.  Geeze, one year someone took the national
autocross class win in an MGB-GT!  Don't sell the marque short because
some peoples memories focus on their favorites!

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/