Re: Electronic ignition solution...

To: Richard.C.Guynn@mcdermott.com
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition solution...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 21:17:27 -0500
Richard.C.Guynn@mcdermott.com wrote:
>      One curiosity, though.  There were alot of people who thought that the
>      later distributor had vacuum retard instead of advance.  After
>      'fixing' the problem, I hooked the vacuum back up and watched the
>      timing as I played with the throttle.  It appears that the vacuum
>      appears to advance and not retard.  When you 'pop' the throttle, the
>      ignition advances about 5 degrees.  Of course I am having problems
>      with the acceleration, but that is for another message.....

  The 5 degree advance with the "blip" would be correct
for a vacuum retard distributor using manifold vacuum.

  Manifold vacuum is high at idle, the throttle plate
is "sealing" in the vacuum. When you blip the throttle,
you let in more air which drops the vacuum.

  Drop in vacuum == less retard == more advance.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca