Mag Wheels

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mag Wheels
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:08:43 EST
<<As much as I love the look of wires, I'm going to bite the bullet and ge=
some knockoff minilite replicas at some point.  Should they hold up under
some serious pounding?
Skye>>

In a word, no!
Most of the wheels such as you refer to are nothing more than cosmetic cra=
p. A
friend raced his E type on them, thinking as you did that they were better
looking (although they don't save any weight over a steel wheel, given the=
 hub
extension and spinner). He was lucky =97 the failure didn't kill him, as i=
certainly could had he been going 140 into a corner when it broke up on hi=
m.
What is your life worth to you?  I have heard of another failure as well, =
and
some of the racing organizations have thought of banning them.
Would they hold up for prancing around on the street at the speed limit?
Probably. For serious racing =97 obviously not. For slalom =97 who knows.

Bill S.
who uses only original Twincam or American Racing magnesium wheels (on the
TVR)