Re: Brake Fluid

To: Rick Roberts <rrobertsmg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:37:32 -0600
Rick Roberts wrote:

> Before I bought my MG, I was hanging out quite a bit on the Triumph NG
> and those folks  stressed not mixing the older, (alcohol based?), brake
> fluid with the newer silicone based fluid.  Plus to change to silicone
> from old whenever you needed to replace a line, etc.

I've mixed silicone with DOT 4 to no ill effects.

> My question is, by looking at the fluid in the Master Cyl. how can you
> tell what kind of fluid is in there?

Silicone is thicker, is usually a color other than clear/whiskey color of
normal brake fluid, and doesn't mix with DOT 4. Pour a little new brake
fluid in jar, add a little of the suspect fluid. If it is silcone, it won't
mix -- like oil and water.--
Bob Allen, Kansas City