lowering rb MGB

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: lowering rb MGB
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:32:07 -0500
Dave-

Don't lower the front without a plan to lower the rear. There are a
number of ways to do this, cheap, easy, poor performance, expensive,
time consumimg, & excellent resulting handling. I have tried several.
Changing springs is in the first catagory, but if you want to try it, do
not use GT springs. Get an old set of CB springs, install them, go
around the block to settle them, see what your height is. Remove & cut
with a cutoff tool, not a torch. The heat will take out the temper, &
ruin the spring. Cut only 1 coil or less, install, drive around the
block, cut again as required. The reason to use an old spring is that as
you cut them, they become stiffer. If you cut a new spring, the ride
would be very harsh. One of the engineers on the list can explain this,
I cannot.

Sway bars from a 77-80 MGB can be used, as can aftermarket items, or a
set of matched front & rear bars is available from M & G International,
or Ron Hopkins. Both are listed in Moss, VB, & others.

Be sure you know what you are trying to accomplish, & how much you are
going to drive the car. My roadster, set up for auto-x, is not the most
comfortable car to commute in, my lowered 74-1/2 GT is a dream, but it
has a CB front crossmember & all CB suspension.

Jim Stuart