Torches (Was: Re: Drilling out screws)

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Torches (Was: Re: Drilling out screws)
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:18:50 -0500
Skye Poier wrote:

> Seems like every time I go to restore or inspect a system the tin worm has
> been having an all-you-can-eat buffet with the screws and bolts - I'm
> probably removing things that were put together in Abingdon.  I was hoping
> drilling out screws would be a quick and easy solution but it seems its
> not the first choice, more like a last-ditch effort.
>
> I should really pick up one of those small propane torches that screw onto
> the top of a refillable bottle.  Ah well.  Never a shortage of new tools
> to buy ;)

Skye,

What type of torch are you talking about?  If it is like the ones that
plumbers use to sweat pipes (i.e. a benz-O-matic [trade name]) I don't
think that they get hot enough to help with rusted bolts.  At least
when I have used my benz-O-matic on rusty bolts it seems to have no
effect.  Works great for sweating pipes.

Have any other listers had good luck using a benz-O-matic (gotta love that
name) on rusty bolts?  Or what type of torches do you use?

Bill Gilroy
------
77 Midget with plenty of rusted bolts
E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com