Headlight Adjustment

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Headlight Adjustment
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 20:53:48 -0800
Hullo!

Well I got the new headlight buckets in - I ended up drilling the center
out of the snapped-off bolts and then putting in metal screws.  Solid.
The metal ring behind the fender seems to be spot-welded in and I didn't
feel like getting another noise complaint whacking away with a chisel.
Learned a lot about drilling out screws, but I digress.

So, how many feet in front of the car should the dipped headlights be?
Haynes is ever-so-helpful - "turn the screw on the side to move the
beam left or right and the screw on the top to move it up and down" -
thanks I couldn't have figured that one out.  Did a search on the net,
got the usual "you should have a professional mechanic adjust your
headlights" yeah I'm sure you need a PhD to turn those two screws - but
I did find something about the MOT in the UK and that the dipped beam
should be 15 degrees.  My trig is a bit rusty, but the headlights are
a whopping 2 feet off the ground, so for a 15 degree angle they should
land 7.5 feet in front of the car.  That certainly doesn't seem right.

So, anyone?

Skye

PS: Now that I have the new bowls in, the trim rings won't fit back on.
And I thought this was going to be a 2 hour job.  Its taking me all week :)

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key