Re: late OD in '67 B

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: late OD in '67 B
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:24:59 +0000
Kelvin Dodd answered my question:

>         Been there, done that.  You really need the trans in place to
> figure out just how much to trim.

Oh good, now I can pretend that I _meant_ to put the tranny in first. ;-)

> I have seen a couple of ways to do the tunnel cover.  I too
> have heard of the replacement, but can't remember where.  I have taken
> two covers, cut them so they overlap, weld the two longer bits together.
> I made the cut on the wide, flattish rectangular bit.  The front bolts
> up as per original, a little hammering and the rear holes fit to the
> trans tunnel and are held down by large tapping screws.  Once in place I
> used foam to seal the gaps.

Sounds good, but since I don't weld, I think I need the replacement.  Anyone
know where they're hiding?

Next question: I just tried to mount the canister filter and it hits the '68
starter!  I don't want to use the spin-on filter conversion or the upside-down
filter, so I'd like to use a different starter.  At the same time, I'd like to
get rid of the starter mounted solenoid so that I can use the one mounted inside
the fender.

So does anyone know of a starter that has the '68 and later drive, with just the
one connector and the same mounting holes, that is shorter than the original
starter?  I'm thinking maybe one of the older Datsuns (1600 and 2000 roadster
and 1300 pickup) that used a modified B engine would have an appropriate
starter.

For right now, I'm going to take the starter to the local parts store and tell
them my tale of woe and see if they can come up with anything.

TIA,
Denise Thorpe