RTFM...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RTFM...
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:56:00 GMT
Hi All,

Well, I feel a bit foolish; I headed out to the garage space to do some
work on the B today, and had another lesson on the value of reading the
manual before starting...Ed at JustBrits had tried with great subtlety to
point out that the intake and exhaust manifolds for the later cars are all
one piece, and if I'd have looked closely enough at the car, or read the
manual, or even looked at the part in the Moss catalog, I'd have realized
that...next time just dope-slap me, Ed. I'll bet that's why you haven't
given me an address to send a check to yet, isn't it? Well, let's add new
nuts, studs, and gaskets, as well as that seal between the convertor and
the head pipe.

Anyway, the whole unit, intake/exhaust manifold and convertor are off
now...why do convertors cost so much, anyway? Mine looks like just a hollow
metal can on the inside...=)  I won't tell anyone if you don't. I would
like to talk to the PO about it though; I'm wondering what other things I
don't know about. Does anyone know what the performance characteristics of
a "gutless" convertor are? Would I be better off just putting a header and
some SUs or a Weber on there? (I know, many people think that's better
anyway). The scary thing here is now that it's all apart, it seems halfway
to having SU's put on there anyway, and I must admit the thought is
tempting. Any advice? Offers of used earlier B or aftermarket set-ups?
Thanks.

Nevin