Part numbers and pricing, was: Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Part numbers and pricing, was: Re: MGA: Optional Headlamp Flasher Relay
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:09:57 +0000
Kelvin Dodd said:

> I have never seen an instance of an
> identical Lucas part having two part numbers for different > applications.
> If you have an example, please give me the part numbers.  I am
> comfortable being proved wrong.

Me neither (not having seen different Lucas part numbers) but I know that
Volkswagon of America, the importer of Porsches, Audis, and Volkswagons in the
US, did something like that.  When I was working as a line mechanic at a
Porsche/Audi/Ferrari dealership '80 through '84, the brake parts for a Porsche
924 were identical to the parts for some Volkswagon applications and they had
the _same_ part numbers, but in the Porsche parts catalogue, the same parts cost
twice as much.

There is so much crossover in parts used on British cars, that it would be
interesting to look at the same part in different car catalogues and compare
part numbers and prices.  I agree with your arguments about the cost of overhead
and minor differences in electrical parts, but different companies may now be
selling the same parts for different cars that were once under an umbrella
company.  We might be able to come up with cross-references for the same parts
on different applications and find the cheapest source for the part.

For instance, the front runnning/turn signal lights on an MG 1100 are the same
as on the MGA 1600.  Anyone have a price on these lights (or lenses) for an
MGA?  One problem with this though, I've never seen an MG 1100 parts catalogue.

Denise Thorpe
Now you know where I get my opinions of Porsche and Ferrari owners ;-)