RE: Rear brake bleed screw size

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Rear brake bleed screw size
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:33:47 -0800
Here's a possible explanation to the difference in rear bleed screw size.
All the original British Lockheed MGB rear brake cylinder bleed screws I
have seen are 1/4".  Lately the European Union has been outsourcing MG parts
to Continental manufacturers - one of the suppliers seems to be a company
called MOPROD.  I have seen Italian remakes of Lockheed rear cylinders with
8mm bleed screws.  It is also possible that the new Lockheed ones are coming
through with 8mm as well.

I try to buy NOS because I feel that two fastener size systems on the same
car (SAE/UNF/UNC and Whitworth/British Standard) are just about enough,
without adding Metric to the list (notwithstanding the T-series MG Mad
Metric - Metric threads with Whitworth heads!).

Yours Grumpily
Paul Kile
Resident Curmudgeon