Re: Non-crossflow aluminum heads...opinions needed

To: BDurgin1@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Non-crossflow aluminum heads...opinions needed
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:38:33 EST
In a message dated 11/25/98 8:28:26 AM Mountain Standard Time,
BDurgin1@aol.com writes:

<< ooking to replace my cast iron head with an aluminum head.  I've heard the
 aluminum heads have better porting and of course are significantly lighter.
 Has any tried one of these?  How was performance affected if at all? >>

Bruce,
     I recently purchased and installed a Moss ally non crossflow head when I
rebuilt my 1976 18V engine this summer.  It went on easily..I have found it to
be a good part..My mid range power is up a bit(less squish area in the
combustion chamber-valve area?)...It sealed well using 60 ft.lbs. of torque on
the head bolts..Carb and exhaust port areas are well surfaced..the ports
themselves are smooth and a bit larger than the cast iron  equilivents.. I am
pleased with the head..I had my machine shop fit a new set of valves and
springs and went driving..It has only 3500 miles on it now, but seems to be
doing what it is supposed to...and it looks good sitting atop the iron block..
                Yours,H4(Howard)
1974MG-Bgt
1974MG-B roadster
1976MG-B roadster(with shiny alloy head)
1977 MG-B roadster