Oddball - sort of MG related

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oddball - sort of MG related
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:04:24 EST
Here's an automotive related story, although not directly concerned with the
cars we like to play with.

In BC we have logger's sports days with various competitive events all more or
less related to the logging industry.
One of these is the unlimited chainsaw event in which one must cut through a
log of standard thickness, I believe 24 inches. One sees all sorts of hot-
rodded saws, and it kind of reminds one of Tim the Toolman's antics.
One particular competitor stood out, and it was automotive related, so when
someone reminded me of it today, I thought I'd pass it on.

He had taken a Buick 215 aluminum V8, which weighs in at around 300 pounds,
and hooked the end of the crankshaft up to a chainsaw blade. There were no
exhaust manifolds, no water in the motor as it didn't run for long enough, and
2 people could, with a bit of grunting, handle the beast, one controlling the
throttle and the other just hanging on for dear life.

They fired the thing up (battery connected by cables and sitting on the ground
beside them), ran it up to around 4000 rpm, and basically dropped it through
the log! they didn't let go of it, but it cut through the log as fast as it
fell, making an unholy racket while doing it. Much more impressive than the
more conventional 2 stroke affairs.

Wonder what Rover or MG would think of that use for their motor?

Bill S.