Re: Copper Flakes in Crankcase-Slide hammer

To: Warren Pruitt <wpruitt@Charleston.Net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Copper Flakes in Crankcase-Slide hammer
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 06:26:19
At 02:58 PM 11/26/98 -0500, Warren Pruitt wrote:
>After removing the engine and gearbox from my '70 MGB, I removed the oil
pan this morning and found what look to be copper flakes all over the oil
pump screen.  I have yet to pull the caps, but I am guessing these are what
are left of my bearings. The main purpose of the whole venture is to
correct a bad oil pressure problem. Should I prepare myself for a bit more
than simple bearing replacement?

Yes.

Copper flakes means that the bearings have worn beyond the soft white metal
material and into the secondary copper lining of the bearing shells.  This
usually means that the crankshaft will be at least a little scuffed and
probably in need of a regrind.

On the even worse side, if the wear on the bearings has gone beyond the
copper layer and has been running the steel backing shells in contact with
the crankshaft, the crank will be very badly scored and in need of a deep
regrind, and possibly even be so badly scuffed as to be beyond regrinding
without surface welding to rebuild the journals.

>Also, anybody have an idea of how to fashion a slide hammer to remove the
main caps?

Long piece of steel rod, double nuts and heavy steel washers on the back
end, heavy piece of pipe for a slide weight, and the appropriate fixture on
the nose end to mate with the part you need to remove.  If you're a little
creative you can design and build you own slide hammer during a 10 minute
stroll around your local hardware store.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude