In Defense of the Austin Marina

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: In Defense of the Austin Marina
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 07:43:27 -0500
<<<<<

In a message dated 11/24/98 8:34:42 PM Mountain Standard Time,
Neil_Oldfield@nag.national.com.au writes:

<< ou guys reckon you had a problem with the marina.  Sold brain in Leyland
Australia decided it would be great if the shoehorned in a six cylinder
motor.   Now that's frightening >>
niel,
   any kind of a 6 over 75 hp in a marina would be a dreadful state of
affairs..lol...i mean..can you imagine a 6 in the alreayd nose heavy..tail
light..non suspended marina??  i, for one, would have to give that ride a
pass..lol

                              Yours, H4(Howard)

Let's not forget that the Marina was produced as a successor to the beloved
Morris Minor.  The MM was praised for it's road manners and comfort.  The
Marina shares the same layout and suspension.  Neither car pretends to be a
sports car like the MG.

My 77 Marina handles 80 mph driving in four lane traffic across Toronto on
hwy 401 without any fuss whatsoever.  It is no more nose heavy, tail light
than most modern fwd small cars out there.  My car has good new tires and I
did replace the rear shocks but the front suspension is original at 55,000
miles.  This car has the Borg Warner 35 transmission used in Jaguar, Healy,
etc.

Seriously,  the Marina does not handle any worse than my 92 Corolla or my
wife's 88 Sentra.  Let's not compare it too closely to an MG.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada