RE: 25D4 vs 45D4

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: RE: 25D4 vs 45D4
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:59:23 -0800
Bud:
        You are correct, you have the ported vacuum dist. hooked up
properly.  I do not know a good source for good 25Ds'.  Parts are a
problem, the points plate is not available new.  Lucas discontinued
production of obsolete 25D components and has manufactured a new 45D
unit specifically for the early application.  Lcs 41427, Moss 143-110
uses the later wiping points and has corrected a number of problems that
the 25D had.
        Pertronix unit LU-143, 222-435 fits the distributer.  To my mind
this is the most reliable set up that will give many years of trouble
free motoring.  Pricey, but at what cost reliability.

        One point that I might add.  The Pertronix units seem to have
difficulty with worn dist. bodies.  The optical electronic ignition
units such as Crane/Allison and Lumenition can handle very worn units
without a problem.

        Also note, I am not a fan of the Mallory dual point.  A lot of
thinking went into the design of the original specification vac/cent
advance curves for the car.  For normal driving I do not believe that I
can improve on the original design without access to a rolling road.

Kelvin.
73 BGT with HS4 and 41427/Pertronix in boxes.