Re: some car mechanic help

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: some car mechanic help
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:48:01 +0000
Bill Saidel asked:

> What is a Gulp Valve and what does it do?

This is a piece of "emissions crap" that keeps the air pump from messing up your
carburetion.  The air pump injects fresh air behind the exhaust valve causing
the unburned gases to burn some more.  The gulp valve keeps the injected air
from going into the intake.  As long as this system is in working order, it
doesn't hurt the car and it helps the environment.

> What is an E.G.R. valve and what does it do?

This is "emissions crap" that's actually good for your car.  Wherever possible I
retrofit this to earlier cars, like my 1100's.  The EGR valve vents the blowby
pressure in the sump into the intake where it is reburned and also lubes your
rings making them last longer.

> Same for Anti-run-on valve?

Various modifations designed to make a B run cleaner also make it run on
(diesel), for instance, the 190 degree thermostat which makes the car burn fuel
more efficiently, but also necessitates thermostatically controlled cooling
fans.  This valve shuts the car off after the engine is stopped.

> How important is the Fuel cut-off valve and what does it do...does it
> do what its name says in case of an accident? If it is not there, does
> that mean it is not strictly necessary to run?

The fuel cut-off valve was required by the US gov't to stop gas from being
pumped after a car has been rolled.  Real cars have a ball valve, like on a
snorkel, near the fuel tank.  If the car overturns, the change in direction of
gravity causes the ball to move into a position to cut off the fuel from the
tank.  In a B, the valve somehow senses sudden changes of direction and shuts
off the power to the fuel pump until the switch is reset.  This means that a
fender bender will make your car stop running and if you don't know about this
gadget, it won't run until you have it towed somewhere where people do.  The
valve is next to the master cylinders and looks a lot like a high beam switch on
an early car.  The reset it, push down on the top and it will click.  You're car
will run fine without it but there's no reason to remove it if you can remember
it's there and how to reset it when you're flustered and upset about an
accident.

> One last question: someone local suggested that I remove all
> the "emissions crap". What are the mechanical consequences (let alone
> legal) of doing that? And what parts under the hood represent the
> "emissions crap"

The "emissions crap" components that make a B run badly are the ZS carburettor,
the EGR valve and the catalyst.

EGR valves make all cars run badly and I don't think they clean up the air
enough to justify making the car work that much harder.  To disable it, remove
it and replace the washer-like restrictor under it with a dime, then reinstall
and put a BB in the small vacuum line to it.  The smog sniffer won't be able to
tell.

I was told that the SU's were replaced with the single ZS carb because it was
easier to install an automatic choke on it.  The govt required automatic chokes
because Americans couldn't be expected to remember to turn the choke off.  The
water activated choke is one of the weakest points of the car and there are
better carburettors with automatic chokes.

The problem with the catalyst is the design.  There are better modern catalysts
and better exhaust manifolds available.  A catalyst exchanges some gases for
others.  IMHO, we won't know which gases were worse until an entire generation
was exposed to catalyzed exhaust emissions.  Is it possible this has something
to do with the dumbing down of America?

Oh yeah, and then there's the timing and internal engine modifications...  Maybe
next time.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to vent about smog equipment and
government regulations.  I need to go out and work on my car, but this felt
good. :-)

Denise Thorpe
all with EGR valves and nothing but EGR valves