Re: Choke Linkage

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Choke Linkage
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:35:18 -0800
Neil..........

A couple of thoughts occur.........

First, when cold, the car should start and die as soon as you let the choke
go! If it will run when cold without choke, then the mixture is set too rich
when the engine is warm. The twelve-flat down initial setting should -
coincidentally - put the tops of the jets in the position that the manual
says. But as Bruce said, that is a starting position and you may find you
have to adjust from there a few flats in either direction to get the perfect
idle when the engine is fully warmed up.
(Bruce's 20-22 flats suggests to me either that he has the wrong needles
fitted or his float levels are set way too low.)

As to the difficulty of operation the choke, are you sure you connected the
linkage properly? The link actually goes on the "wrong" side of the jet, in
that the screw comes in from the float bowl side. It looks awkward and is
hard to connect but, if you attach the link the other side, the angles make
for a really hard pull. You should fit one return spring to each choke,
attaching the other ends to the closest tang on the heat shield. The cable
run comes from the dash to the abutment on the linkage bar, then the inner
cable is fixed to a cable stop in the horseshoe clamp that secures the
forward air cleaner. If your cable goes any way other than this, it will
result in a hard pull.

(Other listers note this applies only to the HS carbs on an MGB; HIFs and Hs
are choked differently.)

Hope this helps!

Lawrie