B Rear Suspension

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: B Rear Suspension
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 17:58:47 -0600
I must agree about the beautiful weather! Unfortunately I was wrenching and
cleaning and painting and cursing! :)
The spring parts are in place! Now I just need to find a 5" or longer bolt
so I can get the shocks in place.
Maybe I'll be able to find some in Augusta, GA, where I'll be all this week.
(TDY money is helping pay for MG parts! hehe)
I missed my target by about half a day...that was spent getting the right
side spring off!
The ride height is higher, but it is not drastic and I'm sure it will
settle. It looks much better than the "squat".

One problem I noticed. when I dropped the jack under the axle on the right
side, the new springs (without a wheel in place to hold them up) stretched
the rebound strap to the point of breakage. On the left side, the exhaust
held the axle up. Did I forget something? Is this normal with the 7 leaf
springs? How do I avoid this in the future?
Something went clunk (the shackles, I think) so I'll tighten everything
after the car has sat on the springs for a while.
Hopefully those planning to attempt the job this winter have learned a bit
from my ramblings...and can contact me if they have questions. I've learned
some tricks and the first side took much longer than the second!

Dan
73 B