Re: rad drain 77B

To: proudfa@NAVCANADA.CA, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: rad drain 77B
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 07:29:20 EST
In a message dated 11/30/98 9:41:15 PM EST, proudfa@NAVCANADA.CA writes:

<< My rad drain cock on the 77 was leaking slightly (after driving system
 pressured) in an effort to reduce the number of spots under the car I
 decided to replace it with the one from my parts car. This leaks more
 than the other. Since I drain the coolant once in a blue moon could I
 just replace the valve with a bolt? Would it need to be brass? Should I
 have put Teflon (plumbers) tape on the threads? (maybe this is the
 leak)? >>

I had to add a radiator petock to my '73 MGB. It is good your '77 already has
one.

I am going to ASSUME that it is a common petcock. If it's leaking, why not
replace it with a new one. Any good auto parts place or a really good hardware
store should have one for $3 -4. The typical one attaches to a 1/2 coupling
that is silver soldered to the bottom of the radiator. The coupling should be
1/8" pipe thread, possibly 1/4". Yes, use teflon tape. If you want to
eliminate the petcock (I wouldn't), get a brass pipe plug, not a bolt. The
threads will be different and damage will occure. Again, use teflon tape.
Don't over tighten.

Take the petcock off and take it with you so you get the right replacement or
plug.

R. Johnson - Dallas