Re: Brake Fluid Question...

To: "Dennis Berman" <Dennis.Berman.dberman@nt.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid Question...
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 13:10:06 -0500

>Afternoon all!
>
>I did some work on the brakes (during my time off).
>Replaced all the spent hardware. Simple job!
>While reading the specs to determine which
>brake fluid I should buy, I was adviced to
>use SAE J1703. Well, I wasn't able to locate
>this stuff after having visited 4 autoparts
>shops.

If you're after the original stuff, look for Castrol GT/LMA brake
fluid.  Every major parts store I've ever seen has some.  If it's
not original, it's as close as you can get to it.

>Someone, (may not be reliable) told me that
>I should use a DOT 5 brake fluid. This stuff
>is silicone based and shouldn't harm any of
>the brake gaskets.

I had the choice to convert to silicone and chose not to.  it seems
that the list is divided right down the middle on this issue, with a
slight majority going to the non-silicone crowd.  Good luck, no
matter what you do.  I'm sure you'll hear more about this, as the
list loves to argue the attributes of brake fluid!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/