Re: and you thought Titanic was a Disaster..

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: and you thought Titanic was a Disaster..
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 23:15:42 -0500
Neil Cotty wrote:
> Well I guess I'll be poking around tonight removing the sump first as it's
> the easiest, trying to look down the spark plug holes (sorry no boroscope -
> oh btw I can spell 'Titanic' <G>) etc. The spark plugs were all nice and
> brown on the tip but a couple of them had some oil around the base, tiny
> bit. Absolutely no sign of damage on the plugs. Someone mentioned a bit of
> carbon could have dislodged from the top of the piston and thats what I'm
> hearing

  I would doubt it. That carbon is brittle and I doubt it
would last more than a few strokes.

  Do you have a compressor? Rotate the engine until the exhaust
valve for each cylinder is fully open, and blast compressed
air into the spark hole.

  If something is in the combustion chamber, you'll hear
rattling and with some luck blow it out the exhaust.

  I wouldn't count on it, but it's worth a try and might
do the trick if it's some shrapnel or carbon in the
cylinder. But if it's a nut or a piece of ring or something,
that cylinder is probably pretty much ruined now.

  If you can't pin it down, it'll only cost you a gasket
to pull the head, so I would at the least do that before
running it again. Pull the head and pull the pan, and
look for the obvious, especially HUGE clearances in the
bottom end, or the oil pump screen dislodged and
being smacked by the counterweights, or something really
"not right".

> One last question - is it ok for me to just fix the one piston with the
> problem?

  Sure.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.