Re: Sump, Head etc.

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Sump, Head etc.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 21:42:39 -0500
Neil Cotty wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I read in Bentley's (aka The Bible) that to take the sump off I have to
> disconnect the engine front mounting bolts (hoses etc) and lift the
> engine a bit to get at the front sump bolts. Typical. Sure looks that
> way from under the car.

  You can use a trolley jack under the tranny/engine
mating surface. That way you can lift the engine and
remove the sump.

  Just don't put your arms or fingers under the sump
as you are cranking away at the bolts. As with all trolley
jacking situations, it's never truly safe. I am
not sure how you can get a jackstand in their either.

  It's no big deal really, just some fiddly bits. Unfortunately
MG designers put more bolts per linear inch in the
"innaccessible" area than any other.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca