Sump Removal

To: MG Listserver <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Sump Removal
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:28:45 -0800
I did a ring job a few years ago with engine in situ, and what worked for
me was removal of the radiator (better frontal access) and engine mount
bolts, then jacking the engine up with a floor jack and piece of 2x6 under
the sump.  The big bugaboo seemed to be that the pan edge was bent in
toward one of the bolt heads, making it hard to get a 1/4"  thinwall socket
or box wrench on it.  Had to wedge a screwdriver in and bend the lip out to
clear the wrench.  Not fun, but I didn't need to hoist the engine from the
top or move it much for clearance.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB