Why did it fail? and software..

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Why did it fail? and software..
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:15:09 -0800
Hi all,

Spoke to Bill today at Midel and he said there must have been a reason
why the big end bearing failed and that normally these bearings don't
fail unless there is say a massive oil pressure loss etc. So I'm
wondering what may have caused this problem. I did notice my oil
pressure wasn't too hot, maybe just dipping 50 (after getting pretty
warm (N for my car! <G>), giving it a bit of juice). I also recently
switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil after a suggestion from a friend who's
using it in old cars. I was skeptical about this but I've read a few
corrobatory articles in old car magazines so I decided to give it a try.
I don't suppose the oil could have been a factor? Too thin?

Is there any other reasons why the bearing would fail? ie Is there
something I should be looking out for in the motor - besides the oil
pump issue which I'm aware of? Blocked oilways in the crankcase? I've
taken some shots of the mess I call my motor and I'll post these up on
the Web tomorrow. You wait till you see whats left of the bearing!!

I think I'm 90% convinced that I'll let the registration pass and
rebuild the motor for racing starting now as it would really be a waste
of time repairing it for a month or two and then stripping it down
again. I'd also prefer to take my time over it. Besides there's a
million and one other things to do in preparation. I'll probably take
the gearbox out with the motor, as I'll probably be fitting close ratio
gears.

BTW has anyone tried that Desktop Dyno software? I'm mainly interested
in it for learning engine theory but also to use as a simulation for
building this motor up. Is it worth the $39.00?, and how applicable is
it to our LBC's? Seems like it's geared to small block/big block V8's.

Cheers,
Neil.