77 Midget in need of rebuild

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 77 Midget in need of rebuild
From: "Dan Dwelley" <ddwelley@UU.NET>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 07:07:51 -0500
I need some advice:

I have the opportunity to buy a 77 Midget that the body is rock solid with a
new paint job. It needs to have the Engine and probably Transmission rebuilt
(hasn't been started for about 5 years and the valve cover, carb., and
intake manifold have been removed about a year ago.) It needs a new top and
some internal work.
It has had the frontend rebuilt as well as the front brake calipers.

My question is how difficult and expensive is it to rebuild the 1500 series
engine and transmission? Would it be cheaper to buy a rebuilt engine and
trany? Of course it has the zeineth/Stromberg carb. would it be better to
put Webers on ,SU's, or stay with the Zeineth (I know this question can
spark a great debate but I'm looking at it from a fact perspective)?

I fell in love with the car but I need to get some idea of cost to, at least
make it drivable...it has already set too long!

Thanks to everyone in advance,

Dan Dwelley

P.S. No, this is not the six cyl. I questioned about in an earlier posting.
:o)))