Brake bleeders and master cylinders (was Re: Ups and Downs)

To: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Brake bleeders and master cylinders (was Re: Ups and Downs)
From: Jay and Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 08:50:53 -0600

Art Pfenninger wrote:

> Chris, I would suggest that you adjust the rear brakes and re-bleed it
> again. Sometimes it can take hours to do the job and quarts of fluid but
> in the end it always seems to work. If you are using a fancy brake bleeder
> this could also be your problem.
> ...Art

Art and all, do you guys believe the fancy brake bleeders are bad?
As I peruse the Porsche mailing lists that I am subscribed to, I am
hearing good things about the Sanp-On and various other brake bleeders,
aside from the maligned Mityvac system.  The advantage to a bleeder is
that you do not need to press your brake pedal down to the floor to
begin bleeding.  The listers claim this is bad on the master cylinder,
since it moves it to positions that it never regularly explores and may
harm the seals.  I don't think this would be a problem with a master
cylinder in good shape, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, the Snap-On bleeders are basically caps that you put on the
brake fluid reserve tank, and then air pressure FORCES fluid into your
sytem.  This eliminates any need for pressurizing the system, and I
would think, this would be an excellent way to ensure no air in
entrained.  I would imagine you could bleed a whole system in one quart
of fluid, and provided your seals and bores are in good shape, you
should have a strong pedal.

On another note, I've been frequenting my local machine shop lately
overseeing the work on the motor for my Porsche.  Things are going very
well, but the best thing about this machine shop is the fact that the
owner is a car nut.  He'll take time out just to show me my motor and
its progress and also show me his shop.  One thing that was interesting
was his statement that a master cylinder or like can be resleeved AND
will be stronger than the original part.  This was indeed interesting,
as I am one who is willing to throw the part away and buy new if I can't
rebuild.  No more!  Besides, the expense of Porsche parts requires that
I be more frugal.  From now on, whether P-car or M-car, I will research
the expertise of my local machinist.  This could save time, money, and
save parts from the trash can.  A WIN-WIN situation for all, given you
have a competent machine shop (many times incompetence outnumbers
competent).

Sorry for the long wind in my chest, but I wanted to share some things I
feel strongly about.

Jay