Re: Purple Circuit -- HELP!!!

To: "Chris Chandler" <spawn@net-link.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Purple Circuit -- HELP!!!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:00:41 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: 09 December 1998 00:11
Subject: Purple Circuit -- HELP!!!

>I'm now back to trying to get the purple circuit working (last
>electrical problem!!!)...  I have power at the fuse block, and at the
>horns (are both terminals on the horns supposed to be hot?).

Yes, until the ground from the horn-push arrives on the purple-black.

> Inside the car I have nada, zip, zilch on purple.

You may have three purple wires leaving the fuse block.  One feeds the
horns, one the headlamp flasher the interior light and the cigar lighter,
and the third the trunk/boot/tailgate light.  Only the third appears to have
an in-line connector, so you could have a broken wire or the female
connector is not electrically connecting to the spade on the fuse block.

>Investigating a few moments ago, I found two connections under the hood,
>mere inches from the fuse box, that were not connected.  One was plain
>purple (inside feed?) and the other was purple/white.  Now... they both
>had bullets that went into one of those single connectors, but nowhere
>nearby did I find a wire of any color with just a bullet connector that
>might mate up to these two errant wires...  any suggestions?

>Should I just add another wire from the fuse box and feed power to the
>plain purple wire?  And then what about the Purple/White lead?

The purple-white runs from the door/boot/trunk/tailgate switches to the
lamps.  I wouldn't expect to see one of those near the fuseblock.  Try
connecting a 12v lamp in from your unconnected purple to the purple circuit
on the fuseblock, then see if your interior circuits (and said bulb) work at
half-brightness.  If they do then (a) that is your missing connection, and
(b) it is not shorted to ground amnd likely to start blowing fuses if you
connected it directly to the the fuse block.  If said lamp *does* come on at
full brightness then look for a short.  Could explain why it is disconnected
anyway.

PaulH.