How to test a condenser

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: How to test a condenser
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 21:25:28
Oh ye, wisdom of the list,

A new experience every day, and now for the first time in my life I finally
had a condenser fail on me.  The last one lasted several years and 100,000
miles without a problem, and I only changed it out of superstition, or
maybe as a point of preventive maintainance.  Now after only several
thousand miles in six months the new one has failed miserably.

I checked everything else in the ignition system, cleaned and/or replaced
the points, rotor, dizzy cap and pug wires, and even tried a different
coil, and the car still ran like crap, would hardly move under its own
power.  It should have been a clue when I disconnected the condenser wire
and it didn't make any difference at all.  After weeding through all other
possible causes, finally in desparation I removed the new condenser and put
the old one back on.  Now it runs like a MG again, cranks right up past the
red line without missing a beat.

Now as something I have asked before but never gotten an answer, aside from
not being a dead short circuit, how do you test one of these little
critters?  I think it would be nice to be able to tell good from bad and
not end up with a dud in my spare parts bin again.  Anyone have a real
answer?  Maybe some educated electrical tech guru on the list?  Physics 102
was way too many years ago, and I really don't feel like making a trip to
the library if someone on the list can answer this one.

Thanks in advance,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude