RE: 12/8 '77 Midget update

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 12/8 '77 Midget update
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:16:01 -0800

> << Allen--At the risk of being corrected by someone who knows
> more than I do
>  about it, everything I have read leads me to steel brake lines, for the
> simple
>  advantage of strength.  I don't know anything about copper/nickel alloy.
> That
>  may be just as good, but I am replacing mine and going to steel.  Also--I
>  would suggest you get the stainless steel clad flexible lines
> rather than the
>  rubber ones.  Less expansion means more braking power and longer life.
>
>  --David >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> As far as the braided hoses, I am planning on using them.  They are now
> supposed to be DOT approved.  In the past they were not, and were
> only used
> for racing.  I will be autocrossing the car so I want the stronger hoses.

If you use braided hoses be sure to record the date you fitted them and
calculate the recommended replacement date.  With the braided hoses you
cannot gauge the condition of the hose by inspection, whereas rubber hoses
start to look obviously crappy when they need replacement.

Andy (has braided hoses, and jolly nice they are too).

PS Without start up another ugly debate, I hope you are using Castrol LMA
brake fluid...