73 B - Mods - Need some help

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 73 B - Mods - Need some help
From: jerbesfield@mindspring.com
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:32:18 -0500
Hello. I'm new to this "discussion group" so please forgive my lack of
manners if I am screwing up somehow. I ran into y'all quite by accident
while surfing. Advice on proper etiquette will be appreciated. By the way,
from what I've seen so far, is there any proper etiquette here?

I need some info and stuff for my car, a black lacquer w/clear coat and
camel interior 73 B Roadster I've owned for a few years. I restored it
completely including complete strong engine rebuild, back in 1987-88.  I
used it as a daily driver, wore much of it out again (doesn't take much) and
I am presently putting it back together again - but this time I'm just
calling it a "refurbishing" effort.

Because I've been through my B before and have owned it for several years, I
have pretty good knowledge of MGB basics. Just for those that may have your
tongue in your cheek (or elsewhere where it doesn't belong) I DO already
know that you must be a glutton for punishment to own a B and all that.

The last time I put my B back together I went completely original, new
chrome, freshly painted stock steel wheels, original exhaust and all that.
It was just beautiful. Lots of compliments. However, this time I think I
want to do a few mods to it. Just basic bolt on hardware stuff though, that
is removable, that will not "permanently" detract form the value. Like
wheels, exhaust, electronic ignition and maybe some carb stuff. I went to
the Turkey Trot Rod Run in Daytona this year for the first time, saw all
those beautiful hot rods down there and got infected. I've got a good engine
in the car. I built it myself. It's done right, it's strong and hot (for
what it is). I don't need a V-8 or anything like that to be any happier.
It'll peel rubber in second gear just like it is right now and that's enough
for me. However, I thought that since I'm pretty much satisfied with the
original engine like it is, that this time maybe I'd do some BOLT-ON mods to
update it's looks some and to give it even a little more power and
reliability. I'm NEVER getting rid of this car so I can always return it to
original if that were to become important to me again.

I'm looking for suggestions, ideas, brand names, suppliers and where exactly
to purchase the following pieces at a price:

Wheels - I now have the original steel painted Rostyle wheels. What I want
is a "deep dish" type of mag wheel look, maybe something like the mini-lites
that were traditional of the era. However, I'm not hung up on Mini-lites or
the exact mini-lite look and price is very important. Anything that looks
real good and that will fit WITHOUT MODS is what I'm looking for. No wild
crazy stuff though. Ideas?

Ignition - My distributor, while it works, is the weak link in the engine.
It's very worn and adjusting ignition points all the time (when there is
more modern and more reliable technology available) is a bore. I'd rather be
driving it! I'd like to replace the original distributor with a modern and
cost effective bolt-on electronic ignition system. Suggestions?

Exhaust - Now working but old and stock. I like the present MGB sound but
enhancement, more power and better looks are wanted. Monza, Abarth, Ansa -
What???

Carbs - presently stock SU's that work okay.  They are a pain though. I
don't enjoy tuning and maintaining them at all. Some time ago I saw a B with
a four barrel American carb on it that looked like a good fit. It looked and
sounded awesome and the owner said that it really made a difference in
performance! Since cost is a factor (I don't need a supercharger or even
Webers), since my engine is strong and will handle it and since I just want
bolt on stuff, I thought this might be a good way to go to have a custom
look  - and more power. Anybody got any information on this - or reasonable
alternatives?

I think that this info would also be valuable to any other B enthusiast out
there too. Thanks in advance for the responses!   Jerry   : )
jerbesfield@mindspring