Parrish Hardtop

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Parrish Hardtop
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 17:45:02 -0800
Hi folks,

     The not-yet-named 77MGB is now sporting a Parrish hardtop.  I picked it up
this afternoon from Max Fulton of M&T MG's.  He's leaving the Boston area and
going to work for British Miles.  For those who keep track of such things, I
paid $400 for it.  It is in virtually perfect condition and has the "Factory
installed premium grade embossed black vinyl covering" (add $225 according to
the new catalog from Smooth Line).  I'll be calling Smooth Line to inquire about
obtaining a new rear seal.  Believe me, it's a nice to do rather than a need to
do.  The top can easily be handled by one person, probably weighs about 30
pounds.  Two clamps attach it to the top of the windscreen, ala the soft top.
It does not use the rear tonneau hooks, instead it uses turnbuckles that hook
into the holes in the top locating sockets immediately behind the doors.  The
only way that I can think of to describe the interior is to say that it's
carpeted, very plush.

     The only problem that I've run into is a DPO one, the right side locating
socket was missing (Max gave me couple just in case) and the screws were rusted
in.  Two broke off, PBBlaster notwithstanding.
BTW, they're 1/4-28 screws.  But, even with the socket only held on by one screw
the top is a very snug fit.  IMHO, it was well worth the hunt and the price.
And, on top of that, my 25D4 distributor arrived today.  Getting close to being
on the road.

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB (hardtop and a/c, what more can you ask for?)